AOMA in Action
This regular feature provides members with a recent update of the Association’s activities. We are representing the profession as a healthcare stakeholder and are a voice and are “at the table.” This covers the six month period from July 1, 2010 – January 15, 2011.
- Met with governor Jan Brewer and other healthcare leaders to discuss the budget crisis.
- Participated in stakeholder meetings for several non-physician clinicians’ expansion of scope sunrise applications.
- President Kelli Ward, D.O. testified at the Joint Legislative Review Committee (JLRC) opposing or expressing concerns on expansions for pharmacists administering immunizations for children, Physicians Assistants (P.A.) prescribing controlled substances for more than 14 days, and naturopaths administering nutrients via IV.
American Osteopathic Association (AOA)
- Participated in the AOA’s Annual House of Delegates Meeting. AOMA Past President Karen J. Nichols, D.O., MA, MACOI was installed as the AOA’s President.
- Executive Director serves on the Bureau of State Government Affairs.
- AOMA’s staff collected clothing and children’s items for a holiday donation to the Sojourner Center.
- Provided 12 hours of high quality AOA Category 1-A continuing medical education at the Fall Seminar at the Omni Tucson.
Healthcare Community Leadership
- Arizona Health-e Connection – Executive Director representing AOMA is treasurer, a member of the Executive Committee and Board, and member of several task forces.
- Executive Director representing AOMA is on the board of Health Services Advisory Group (HSAG), Medicare’s Quality Improvement Organization (QIO).
- Added seven new members during this period.
- Co-hosted a Member Forum on “Meaningful Use”.
- Hosted an Office Manager Summit on the Federal Trade Commission’s (FTC) Red Flags Rule.
- Added new Business Partner:
- MD Tech Pro - provides technology and EMR support services for medical practices, physician offices and healthcare facilities.